- Explore SA – The Gawler Challenge was a world-wide call for geologists and data scientists to uncover new exploration targets in the state’s Gawler Craton region.
- Using the Geological Survey of South Australia’s historical records, primary data and research, the competition combines geological expertise with new mathematical, machine learning and artificial intelligence to increase the number of potential drill targets across central South Australia.
- The competition submissions were released via the Department for Energy and Mining's SARIG portal on 15 September 2020.
- Stage 2 of Phase 1 of the program, involving data interpretation and assessment, is due for completion in June 2021.
- This highly successful crowd-sourced open data competition attracted over 2,000 competitors from across the world and generated significant interest in South Australia as an innovative supporter of the mineral exploration industry.
- As a result of this challenge an estimated $350 million worth of new publicly available geoscientific data was derived.
- Phase 2 – “Next Generation Mineral Systems maps” was recently announced in the 2020-21 South Australian State Budget.
June 2021 (Phase 1)
17 Jun 2021 2:36 am