- This $5 million jointly funded project with the Whyalla City Council is for various upgrades at the Bennett and Memorial Ovals.
- The State Government has contributed $890,850 to this project.
- The Bennett Oval upgrade includes a total refurbishment of grandstand building, changerooms and toilet facilities, new canteen and kitchen, shading, lighting, upgraded irrigation and disabled access from the carpark.
- The Memorial Oval upgrade includes the installation of new lighting and irrigation.
- This project has allowed the Whyalla City Council to upgrade both its Tier 1 ovals within the City of Whyalla to provide improved facilities for their users. This provides the Whyalla community with facilities that can be utilised by all sporting clubs.
- Additionally, it provides an opportunity to attract sporting events for state, national and international sporting events. This has been demonstrated when Bennett Oval hosted the AFL Marsh Community Series match between Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs in March 2020.
- These ovals will now give the Whyalla community great facilities for all sports and provide the ability for these facilities to be utilised at night also.
- It is expected these upgrades will provide an attraction for children in the community to play sport and thus allow the sporting clubs of Whyalla to grow and prosper.
23 Jun 2021 2:08 am