- South Australia’s largest dam at Mount Bold will receive a major safety upgrade, to ensure it meets current ANCOLD (Australian National Committee on Large Dams) guidelines.
- The design option being considered in the concept design phase of the project will address the two deficiencies by strengthening the dam and stabilising the abutments to prevent failure.
- The upgrade will include:
- Strengthening the dam by buttressing the concrete central arch section of the dam wall.
- Anchoring the gravity abutments with post tensioned anchors through to bedrock.
- Removing existing spillway gates and manual intervention.
- Replacing the gates with a slot to provide flood attenuation.
- A saddle dam to prevent flow through the low saddle to the north of the dam.
13 Jun 2021 6:26 pm